Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fasting!

Hey, hey Readers, :)

I need to start fasting. I'm not sure where in the Bible (hence my reason for my Bible study), but I know it says that certain things will only be done, by fasting and prayer.
No one has really, thoroughly explained fasting to me ( and I haven't bothered to find out myself, I know, shame on me), but what I've picked up along the way is that, fasting is a sacrifice unto God. Food is something that the human body needs, and so fasting is like saying "LORD, I know that I need food, but I am putting aside my need for food, as a sacrifice for you, so that you will do such and such for me."
I'm not sure if I'm right (obviously I need to do some information-seeking prayers), but this is the concept I have in mind when making the decision to fast.

I'm starting today, I will be fasting from 1pm to 6pm today. During that time, I will also be praying, (fasting and prayer goes together like 'Pb' and 'J'). I am praying for all the things that I need God to do in my life, things I need him to do for me [give me strength, courage/confidence/boldness to his work...etc,], people I need him to bless and speak to, and so on.
Also with fasting, we have to make sure that we don't 'show off' to others. Like Matthew 6:16 says (NLT): "And when you fast, don't make it obvious like hypocrites do, who try to look pale and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I assure you, that is the only reward they will ever get."
I used to do that :( When I was younger, I used to skip breakfast and look the part, and when people asked me what's wrong, I would say in the most depressed voice "I'm fasting." Like it was a burden on me or something.
Now, I know better and will not be doing that! I'm going to make sure that people won't be able to look at me and think something is wrong. I'm doing this for God, so I will be happy about it...despite the growling noises my tummy makes.
Happy fasting! :)

~God Bless! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment